Tuesday, June 20, 2006

sanguineous

If you are squeamish I'd skip this entry... you've been warned.
















So I went under the knife yesterday ... before the surgery I had a "last meal" of sorts with V. at the Elephant Bar. What would you want to eat if you knew you weren't going to be eating solid foods for a while? For me the answer was clear. A nice juicy BBQ hamburger with french fries. I savored every bite and with some reluctance, pushed the plate away from me when I was done. So sad.

And so off to the dentist's office we go. The procedure wasn't so bad. The most ominous moment is when they cover your eyes with a towel so you can't see while they work. And yet it's a welcome thing. Not too many people want to see their own blood spraying everywhere while they saw at your gums.

I came home with lips numb, drooling blood like an idiot zombie, and scrambling for the pain killers. Those first few hours were rough, and I could barely eat anything, and even swallowing was a challenge. Fortunately the meds made me drowsy, and I spent most of the evening in front of the TV or napping.

I woke up this morning to find blood on my shirt and pillow cover. The stitches are still bleeding a little but it's probably going to stop by day's end. I tossed the clothes in the hamper for washing, feeling at the moment a little like O.J. Simpson.

The pain is much less severe today, and I was able to eat a little more. In fact I am starving today, and the memories of that burger are haunting me. Instead I have my choice of jook (rice pooridge), vanilla pudding, or apple sauce. Yum. I imagine that in a few more days after I remove the dressings from my mouth I will be able to gingerly eat some solid foods on the opposite side of my mouth, but I'm a long ways away from a burger or steak right now. Somebody shoot me already.

Hey, I guess there's a positive side to all this, I'm bound to lose some weight since I can't eat anything substantial. I weighed myself this morning and I am currently at -3 pounds from where I started. Let's see where I am after a week of semi-liquid diet...

No comments: