Wednesday, July 05, 2006

reversion

Well my 2 and a half week vacation sadly has come to an end, and it's time to go back to work. But I did have a good time, and I tried to make the most of the time I had left on monday and tuesday. On Monday after my follow up visit with the periodontist I went for a little backwoods drive in the Spyder and then headed to GoKartRacer in Burlingame with my racing pal for a little karting challenge. Every Monday they combine their two smaller courses into one large one, dubbed the Supertrack. At speed it's about a minute to complete one lap, which is pretty long as karting tracks go -- at LeMans Karting, the other karting place in the Bay Area, a lap is over in 30 seconds or less. For about $35 you can do a 15 minute practice session where you and about 10 other drivers get to do laps and try to get the fastest time around the track. It took a few laps to learn the layout but soon I got familiar with the course and was able to get some consistent lap times in the 63-64 second range. Unfortunately some more experienced drivers were lapping down in the 58-59 second range, and they were kicking our asses. My buddy and I brought our own helmets and thought we looked the part with our slick gear, but we got schooled by the regulars. He finished 9th and I finished 10th out of 16 -- squarely mid-pack. We both agreed that more practice is definitely needed. One cool bonus from GoKartRacer: they lend you helmets and racing suits, but the headsock they give you to wear is yours to keep. Much better looking and ostensibly more sanitary than the ones they give you at LeMans, which you give back and they (presumably) wash and reuse.

And on Tuesday we wrapped up the July 4th weekend with you guessed it, a BBQ. After spending a fair amount of time working the propane gas-powered grill, I grabbed a plate and had my fill of beef, lamb, chicken, crab, etc. I have probably put back on all the weight I've lost at this point, but I will wait a day or so before I step up onto the scale again...

No comments: