Thursday, July 13, 2006

aspiration


You can't imagine how disappointed I was when I heard that Porsche was halting production of their Carrera GT supercar. I certainly don't have the dough to spring for one right now, but if they kept making them I might have the scratch for it around, oh, 2036. Now what am I going to drive when I'm uber-rich?

So my faith in mankind and in Porsche was revived when I came across news that Porsche was working on a new supercar, based on the Carrera GT chassis. This one is going to be a hardtop coupe instead of a convertible, as it is going to essentially be the street-legal version of a racing coupe for their LeMans racing plans. LeMans is changing their rules to require all their prototype cars to be closed-roof coupes, so we won't be seeing open-top cars like the Audi R8 or Audi R10 after next year. They've set some lofty goals for this supercar, informally dubbed the GT1. 950 horsepower, and the ability to outspeed the top dog in this class right now -- the $1.3 million Bugatti Veyron which can reach 252 mph. Details available in the Speed TV/Autocar article linked below.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/automotive/newmodels/28090/

No comments: