Wednesday, July 18, 2007

apparatus


We've got a new gadget to play with -- an HP laptop with 17" screen. I bought it through the HP store online, as I get a discount there. The relevant specs:
- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz/4MB L2Cache)
- 17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
- 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 511MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
- Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection
- 200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (100GB x 2) running Windows Vista Home Premium.

It's pretty slick but I am still getting used to the new features that come with Vista. All in all though it's pretty similar to Windows XP with some enhancements.

It took me a few hours to get it set up and to uninstall some lame trial software that comes on it, and generally get it configured the way we like it. Still need to install some other applications but we're connected and got the basics running. Hooray for Firefox, woo woo! Stay tuned cuz with this much computer processing firepower we can probably create some pretty cool stuff -- I will probably use it do some video editing and multimedia stuff.

I feel kind of sorry for my old desktop PC which is starting to show its age and pales in comparison to the newcomer. Still it's no slouch, it's a P4 1.7GHz running WinXP. I am thinking of picking up a KVM switch from monoprice.com and being able to switch between the two PCs with one keyboard/monitor/mouse. And it can still serve as a media server, streaming music and videos wirelessly to my PS3 downstairs. So I'm not ready to retire the old machine just yet.

3 comments:

D. said...

Did ya think about a Mac instead? None of that trial software waste of time to deal with - if you count those as billable hours, that's almost an extra 100% tax on the HP.

Then again, I like the taste of Kool-Aid.

P.Mok said...

I did consider a Mac (sis-in-law works at Apple and gets a discount), but V. didn't want one ... who knows maybe I'll get one for myself to see how the other half lives. I only recently got my very first iPod (Shuffle) so I'm slowly coming around.

D. said...

dude, hook me up with a discount then!

Between the mac and the wii, I'm rocking the white clad consumer electronics goods.