Sunday, March 21, 2010

liquidation

As we get ready to sell our home and move to our new place we've started clearing out the extra stuff we've had lying around over the years that we don't really need. Less stuff to move = less trouble. It's not hard to imagine that I have quite a few auto parts stored away in the garage. So I've put up my original Lexus wheels from the IS350 for sale on craigslist. There's probably other parts I've kept around for no reason that will go to the dump or up for sale on craigslist, like extra exhausts, lug nuts etc.

Wouldn't you know it, the first three emails I've received about the wheels are all likely scammers. They either want me to click on some probably malicious link or spam that they sent me, or want to send me a cashier's check for the wheels, sight unseen. I just need to send them all my personal information so they can proceed swiftly with the transaction. The transaction of stealing my money, you mean? Yeah right sucker.

Check out this video at the Federal Trade Commission about filing a complaint online. I think it's unintentionally funny because everyone's all squinty-eyed until they get scammed, and suddenly their eyes pop open.


No comments: